Millwork Terms


General term used to designate lumber or veneer produced from deciduous trees in contrast to softwood, which is produced from evergreen or coniferous trees.

Standard Lacquer

In finishing, a nitrocellulose-based lacquer without additives.

Crown Moldings

Moldings used to accent ceiling intersections and traditional pediments and casework tops.

Center Match

An even number of veneers of equal width matched (usually book, but also slip or reverse slip) in the face so that an equal number of veneers are on either side of the center point (i.e., a veneer joint) of the face.

Reverse Slip Match

The variation from slip match is that every other piece of veneer in the face is reversed, end for end, with the adjoining sheet that "balances" the characteristics of the pieces of veneer in the face.

End Match

End matching consists of opening two matching pieces of veneer endwise rather than edgewise (book match). This may be done to make a balanced face (e.g., for a top) or if long panels are required beyond limits of the veneer length.

Special Match

Special matching or sketch matching (per a submitted sketch) of veneers that may be done in an infinite number of patterns, including the more common diamond match, box match, checkerboard, herringbone, and a host of others.

Transparent Finish

A stain or clear finish that allows the natural characteristics and grain color of the wood surface to show through the finish.

Running Match

Each panel face is assembled from as many veneer leaves as necessary. Any portion left over from the last leaf may be used as the start of the next panel.


Method of cutting lumber where the annual rings are relatively perpendicular to the face of the board. Quarter-sawn lumber tends to be more dimensionally stable than other forms of lumber, such as plain sawn.